Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter with my mistaken-identity favorite rugby union club

Here's one of those stupid stories I like to tell that really don't mean anything, but have stuck in my mind.
I was wearing my red, white and black LEYTON ORIENT scarf while touring Lord's Cricket Ground when the old gent leading the tour asked:

"Is that a Saracens' scarf?"

He was slightly disappointed -- and probably a bit surprised -- to learn it was the O's instead.

Ever since that moment, however, I have been a fan of the 135-year-old SARACENS, the north London rugby union club who currently play at Watford's Vicarage Road ground.

I was pleasantly surprised this EASTER morning, then, to find not only a full Easter basket, but also "Sarries" on our television, playing GLOUCESTER in an AVIVA PREMIERSHIP match.

I watched the match until it was time to leave for Easter morning Mass.

South African duo Schalk Brits and Ernst Joubert ran in first-half tries and Matthew Stevens and David Strettle scored in the second half as Saracens won, 35-12, to clinch a home semifinal in the upcoming Aviva Premiership playoffs.

Saracens actually have a pair of Americans in their squad, lock Hayden Smith and fullback Chris Wyles (pictured), so perhaps its appropriate that they should be my MISTAKEN-IDENTITY FAVORITE RUGBY UNION TEAM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home