Thursday, April 11, 2013

I'll be all smiles with Philly soul

The weather has been so depressing lately -- unseasonably COLD, GLOOMY, WET AND DARK -- that I've brought out a heavyweight musical style to help keep a smile plastered upon my face.
PHILADELPHIA SOUL means the classic '70s sounds of MFSB, The Three Degrees, The Delfonics, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, The Intruders, The O'Jays, The Stylistics, The Spinners, Jean Carn, Archie Bell & The Drells and more.
It's a classic sound that always reminds me of the Saturday afternoons of my youth watching SOUL TRAIN and awkwardly (and never, ever proficiently) attempting to copy the dancers' moves on songs such as "One of a Kind (Love Affair)" or "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now."
I've recently compiled a 66-song, 4.3-hour Philly Soul extravaganza playlist that serves multiple purposes.
It gives me classic tunes to sing along with in the car, it reminds me I'll never really be able to dance to "Don't Leave Me This Way" and it keeps me smiling when all I really want to do is strangle OL' MAN WINTER.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home