Thursday, August 06, 2009

The song that shook me awake

An agitated dog, concerned over the girls' absence (they spent the night at their grandfather's house), triggered a restless night of fitful sleep.
Still a bit groggy (and grumpy), I attempted to leap into the day on the back of the fiery performance of "A NIGHT IN TUNISIA," the title track of a 1960 album by ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS.
Music writer Bob Blumenthal calls this rendition "one of the greatest versions of 'A Night in Tunisia' ever recorded."
High praise, I think, considering how often artists have covered the DIZZY GILLESPIE tune.
"This 'Tunisia' is something else," Blumenthal writes. "The performance is in overdrive from the opening Afro-Latin percussion ensemble."
It helps having two of my favorite horn players involved -- trumpeter LEE MORGAN and tenor saxophonist WAYNE SHORTER.
Morgan's solo on this "Tunisia" is remarkable -- even better, I think, than his version of the song on his 1957 album, "The Cooker."
By the time of the song's rousing finale, I was wide awake. And even a little less grumpy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home