Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008: Three firsts

Happy New Year!
Here are a few of the ways I welcomed in the new year...
FIRST THING I WATCHED ON TELEVISION -- Carlos Tevez scored in the 25th minute (above) to give Manchester United a 1-0 victory over Birmingham City at Old Trafford.
Alex McLeish's Birmingham City side showed some improvement in the second half of today's Premier League encounter, but couldn't quite manage their first win at Old Trafford in 30 years.

FIRST SONG I HEARD -- I am always quick to correct people who claim DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS are a "one-hit wonder" one the basis of "Come on Eileen."
Not so! The Birmingham band first hit the top spot on the UK charts two years earlier with the wonderful "GENO."
Kevin Rowland and Kevin Archer wrote this classic song, a tribute to soul singer Geno Washington.
Like "Come on Eileen," it is catchy enough to lodge in your brain for hours. Unlike "Come on Eileen," it has not been played to death on American radio. For me, that means it still sounds as fresh as when I first heard it so many years ago. For others, that lack of USA airplay means it remains an elusive treat. Dexy's a "one-hit wonder?" In America? Perhaps. Elsewhere? No way.
I actually watched the video for "Geno" this morning on YouTube. Click here to check it out.
FIRST MEAL I ATE -- Ahh... A whole-grain bagel topped with a bit of cheese and some jalapeƱo slices. What a wonderful way to start the year.
Happy New Year everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home