Friday, December 28, 2007

The year in review... sort of

We've nearly reached the conclusion of the calendar year. That means it's time for ROUTE 1 readers to answer the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What was your musical highlight from 2007?"
Jim S. -- Going to the ZZ Top concert in Dubuque with a couple of other boomers -- none of our spouses -- was a wonderful highlight. We were two sharp-dressed men (not looking for any tush, by the way) and a woman (she's got legs, but didn't have a pearl necklace). We danced in the aisle (yes, even me) to "LaGrange" and "Cheap Sunglasses," and we felt young again for a night (not the next day, though).
Rick T. -- Opening for country star John Anderson. What an honor!
Mike D. -- My 5-year-old son writing his first song on the piano. "Three Little Birds" may not become a Top-40 hit, but it was tops in my book for 2007.

Kerstin H. -- Watching my first McFly videos.
Mike M. -- My musical highlights: Reading Route 1! Also, NPR's story last January about Bach's elusive Chaconne (read it here).
Musical low light: My almost-5-year-old daughter got a portable CD player with headphones for Christmas this year; our Hank Williams Sr. CD had been grating on my nerves, but after one day of eerie silence in our house, I miss Hank's crooning, and my daughter's lively presence, terribly.
Erik H. -- On May 25, I stepped into San Francisco's massive Amoeba Records with a plan to purchase four albums on CD. I had no clue what I wanted to get, so I could browse among the seemingly endless possibilities.
I chose:
1) Big John Patton's "Let 'em Roll."
2) Dr. Lonnie Smith's "Think!"
-- apart from anything Jimmy Smith created, these are among the finest organ jazz albums produced. They never fail to get me grooving.
3) Baby Face Willette's "Behind the 8 Ball" (with the bonus of including his album "Mo-Rock"). Willette is one of the jazz world's forgotten men. These albums of funky organ jazz indicate he is due for further investigation, and that his other works are due for reissue by jazz labels.
4) Kirsty MacColl's "From Croydon to Cuba... An Anthology." What can one say about the late, great Kirsty MacColl? She was one of Britain's greatest postwar songwriters, for a start. And until there is justice brought against those responsible for her death (find out how, here), we should never rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home