Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A cricket shout out for good ol' Route 1

I woke up at 4 a.m. to listen to live audio commentary of INDIA v. PAKISTAN on the CRICKETWORLD.COM website.
The website's Lincolnshire-based commentary team often read tweets, Facebook posts and emails from people listening from various far-flung parts of the world.
I tweeted that I was listening to them from Dubuque, Iowa USA and the commentators read my message over the air, remarking that they would have to look for Iowa on a map.
I thought, that's cool, and listened to them describe the next ball bowled in the over.
While I listened, they must have clicked through some of the links on my Twitter profile, because the next thing one of the commentators announced to the world was:
"You can tell Erik follows cricket in America by looking at his Route 1 blog."
I sat bolt upright.
There was nobody for me to tell in my house. It was before 5 a.m., and everybody else was asleep.
I looked at RORY THE DOG and LORELEI THE BLACK CAT and said: "Did you just hear that?!"
In the event, India (260-9) defeated Pakistan (231) by 29 runs.