Monday, December 20, 2010

Kirsty MacColl: 10 years gone

When push comes to shove, my all-time favorite song is "They Don't Know," famously covered by Tracey Ullman but composed and recorded by the brilliant KIRSTY MACCOLL.
MacColl was killed in a tragic diving accident 10 years ago this week.

I'm a big Kirsty MacColl fan. Just ask my sister: I dragged Inger into a rainy SOHO SQUARE late last year so I could snap a photo of MacColl's memorial bench. It seemed fitting that the bench should be drenched in rain. There's a continuing sadness about the manner of MacColl's death.

MacColl was diving with family members in Cozumel, Mexico when she was struck by a speedboat owned by Mexican millionaire Guillermo Gonzalez Nova. Questions remain as to why the boat was in a restricted area and who was actually piloting the boat at the time of the accident.

Those questions launched the "Justice for Kirsty" campaign to raise awareness and prompt a judicial review.

I am going to mark the 10 years of MacColl's passing in three ways:

1. I am going to listen to as much of her music as I have on my iPod.
MacColl's musical legacy includes songs such as "There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis," "A New England" (a cover of a Billy Bragg tune), "Innocence" and "Fairytale of New York" (with the Pogues).
2. I am going to log onto the BBC RADIO 2 website when I get home so I can hear a special appreciation show hosted by MacColl friend Bragg.

3. I am going to mention her name, her music and her legacy to as many people as I can today.
Maybe I can help bring about a form of justice for Kirsty.

1 Comments:

Blogger Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

"Dont' come the cowboy with me sonny Jim..."

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home